Monday, December 26, 2005

Vacation Work @ KPMG

Date: December 2004 to February 2005

I was fortunate enough to get the opportunity to work for KPMG during the summer break. KPMG is one of what they call the “Top 4” in the accounting profession. They also provide services in tax, corporate finance and IT-related issues.

During my time there, I worked in the Information Risk Management (IRM) division, which primarily deals with anything IT-related. I performed checks in financial models, analysed the security of systems and completed internal audit reports. The main “bread and butter” of IRM is to support the financial audit team, by auditing the IT systems that are used to generate the financial reports. Now you guys know what I’ll be doing for most of next year :p

What amazed me was the age of my fellow colleagues. Having completed 4 years of uni at the age of 22, I felt old. But with age, come knowledge right? WRONG! Most of the employees that were in senior roles were around the 23y.o. mark and seemed to be so knowledgeable in their craft. I felt really SMALL (despite my size..haha). It made me realize that no matter how many years of uni you have under your belt, experience is what counts. It is something that you just can’t replace.

The 2 most memorable events during my vac work would have to be the firm-wide Xmas Party and IRM’s Karaoke Night. The Xmas Party blew my mind! It was undoubtedly the best and most grandest, expensive and unique party I have ever been to. They rented 3 huge function rooms at the Rod Laver Arena, each decorated extensively into different Australian themes. These included: Kakadu, Bondi Beach, the Great Outback, as well as the outdoor BBQ. Each area had its own unique type of food and drinks available. To sum it up, it was 7 hours of unlimited food, alcohol and gelati :p We even had Killing Heidi play for us. The Karaoke Night was memorable, cos it saw the debut performance of the IRMstreet Boys. Because the boys knew that I danced, they asked me to be the master-in-charge of choreography and movement to the ever-popular BSB song “I Want It That Way”. They took it quite seriously, with a whole Monday night after work dedicated to rehearsing for this special “gig”. I can proudly say that the crowd went off when the boys performed. Presenting to you: Phil, Tom, Nathan, Kelvin and Dan the Man….

IRMstreet Boys - The Starting Pose
IRMstreet Boys - The Finale

1 Comments:

  • hahahah, only heard you talking about it, never thought I would actually see these photos..You guys were "COOL" man..? (wink*wink*) When is the next show?

    Jen..

    p.s. can't believe people actually need to sign up to leave a comment..ckckckck..wha:Pt a marketing strategy

    By Blogger Sharlene, at 11:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home