Thursday, December 29, 2005

Flare Gigs (Syn Celeb-Asian)

Date: July 2005

This year, Flare has propelled itself into the dance community, by being recognized as a performance group for Melbourne’s top nightspots and various major events. One of the major turning points for the group was our gig at Next Blue, for SynFM’s birthday celebrations.

Given the circumstances of how this performance came to fruition, it is definitely one of my favourites. The hurdle we had to overcome was me going back to Malaysia for 2 weeks, with the gig happening only a week after I return. Therefore, the choreography was divided between me and another choreographer. There were intensive daily rehearsals while I was away, and at the same time, I had to choreograph whenever I had a free moment in Malaysia, such as waiting for a bus. My choreo was videotaped and emailed to the dancers, hoping they would get a feel of the routine. When I returned, we continued with our daily 3hr practices until the day of our performance. Despite the feeling of lacking sufficient preparation (which is normal with most groups), our performance impressed the organizers of Next Blue. This was the opportunity that we had been waiting for all this time. The sense of achievement of being discovered and representing the name of Flare is something that I will always cherish. For more photos, click here


Flare at Next Blue


2005 was a HUGE year for Flare. We had 18 performances throughout the year, out of which I danced in 13 of them. For more details, click here. Dance prac after dance prac, this occupied a lot of my time, but the trade-off was heaps of fun, camaraderie built between the dancers and meeting a group of fantastic people that I would not have been able to go through the year without.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home