Friday, December 30, 2005

Bro's 21st Birthday

Date: September 2005

My brother threw a big shindig to celebrate his 21st birthday. I know that older siblings usually give a speech at parties, but I had heard nothing about it throughout the whole planning process. You can imagine my surprise when my bro asked “so do you know what you’re gonna say on your speech?”. My first reaction was “WHAT THE??”. After thinking about it, and taking into account my dislike for public speaking, I decided to do a RAP instead. Looking back on it, I don’t know which option was worse. I had never rapped before in my life, and definitely not in front of 100 people.

This song is sung/rapped to the instrumental of I’ll Be Missing You by Puff Daddy. It took me 2 days to write, one day to record and produce, and one day to practice for the performance. Special shoutouts to Am and Cindy, who provided their voices for the chorus (which was done on the day of the party after dance prac), and BboyVinny, who provided the backing soundtrack and assistance with the lyrics. If anyone wants to hear it, email me :p

This one goes out to you bro….

K-E-L to the V-I-N (that’s me)
BBOY V to the I-N-H (what up?)
A-M-A to the B-E-L (Ya’ll ready for this?)
C-I-N to the D-Y

What I’m gonna do now, is give a little rhyme,
21 years, its been a long time,
1984, September 27
Was the day you came down from heaven
We did not know what to expect
Yo my lil bro, You made a big impact
You gave us love, You gave us pain
But after all that We still love you just the same

CHORUS
I’ll be there for you, whatever you go through
By your side we’ll be, as a family, we’ll be loving you
Everyday you grow, all the seeds you sow,
We just want you to know, that today’s your show, Happy Birthday to you…

For y’all that dunno, Imma tell ya bout Rodney
Yo this boy is a lil weird, and funny
Once a upon time, his lifetime goal
Was to be the fittest FAT man in the world
One look in his bomb struck room
You’ll be thinking to yourself, boy you need a broom!
As you climb over mountains to his bed
If you can get there, then you’re well ahead

CHORUS

Yeah we shall be, like you see
In the 21 years, with you and me
We played sports, badminton, cricket, and footy
All the fights we’ve had, although regretfully.
He’s a ladies man, he be creeping through the night
Girls watch out, Rod – you know I’m right!
But Despite all that, He’s smart, he’s kind
A good friend in him, you’ll always find

CHORUS

This is what the parents have to say
We are proud and happy to this day
Shared the last 21 years with you
Our love for you is nothing new
By your side we’ll always be
As a family, we shall be

Strange and cruel, cold winds may blow
You have your highs and your lows
By your side we’ll always be
As a family, we shall be

We wish you all the best
And Reach success before, you rest
By your side we’ll always be
As a family, we shall be

You brought happiness and joy
We love you very much, our boy
By your side we’ll always be
As a family, we shall be…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home